An Integrated Campaign of Mono Oral Polio Vaccine Type 2 (mOPV2) and Vitamin A Supplementation
An integrated campaign that addressed an outbreak of vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 and improved vitamin A supplementation delivery during COVID-19
Research Methods and Approaches
A case study approach was used to generate an in-depth, multi-faceted understanding of planning and implementation of the integrated campaign for Vitamin A supplementation and mOPV2. The study used mixed methods, consisting of desk reviews of documents and qualitative data collection using key informant interviews (KIIs).
- Document review
- Key informant interviews (KIIs)
- Review of household monitoring data (coverage verification)
- Project documents included reports on the planning/preparations and implementation of the integrated campaign for vitamin A supplementation and mOPV2 in 2020. This review provided information on the scope of activities carried out during the planning/pre-implementation, implementation, and post-implementation stages.
- Interviews were conducted with health managers and providers who were directly involved in planning and implementation of the integrated campaign at all levels of service delivery.
- Stakeholders were consulted from government agencies, health partners, civil society organizations, regional, and community leaders. The discussions focused on respondents’ experiences and lessons during the pre-planning, the planning, implementation, and post-implementation phases, and the experience and lessons learnt during the monitoring and supervision stage.
- At the community and household level, mothers, caretakers, and community members were randomly selected and interviewed to understand their perspectives on the integrated campaign.